6 Pro Tips to Determine if you Need a Windshield Replacement
Here are some tips from the pros, which may help you when you're assessing whether your auto glass needs replacing:
- Size and Depth of Damage: The size and depth of cracks and chips play a significant role in determining whether the auto glass needs to be replaced. If the crack is longer than a dollar bill or the chip is larger than a quarter, it's generally recommended to replace the glass. For cracks that have penetrated both layers of the glass, replacement is often necessary.
- Location of Damage: The location of the damage on the auto glass is crucial. If the crack or chip is directly in the driver's line of sight, it can significantly impair visibility, making it necessary to replace the glass. Additionally, damage at the edges of the glass can compromise its structural integrity, necessitating replacement to ensure safety.
- Glass Integrity: Check the integrity of the glass by tapping on it gently. If the glass vibrates or produces a hollow sound, it might indicate that the structural integrity of the glass has been compromised and that it needs to be replaced.
- Scratches and Visibility: Assess the extent of any scratches on the glass. Minor scratches can often be repaired, but if they are deep and extensive, they can distort visibility, especially when hit by direct sunlight or headlights at night, making replacement necessary.
- Age and Wear: The age and wear of the auto glass can also influence whether it needs to be replaced. Over time, exposure to various elements can weaken the glass, making it more susceptible to damage and reducing its overall strength and integrity. Check specifically to see if your auto glass is hazy or slightly milky in hue. In this case it's best to repace it, as its best before date has passed and visibility may be compromised in more challenging light conditions.
- Functional Issues: Pay attention to any functional issues, such as difficulty in rolling the windows up or down, as it might indicate that the glass needs to be replaced. Additionally, if the windshield wipers leave streaks or make a grating noise, it could be a sign of underlying damage that requires a replacement.
Please note that auto glass repair is a viable option too, and the greener choice, where it is possible and advisable! Car window glass repair is a great option especially where visibility isn't crucial, like for passenger windows. When considering any vehicle window repair it's a good idea to run it by an unbiased professional.
At Dearborn Auto Glass we do both repairs and replacements with equal gusto. We serve Dearborn, MI and surrounding areas. If you give us a call we can help you determine whether repair or replacement is the best course of action. Quotes are always free and no hassles!